Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

So close, yet so different

I went to Hong Kong this past weekend with a friend. We wanted to do some shopping and just get away from the mainland area. It was a nice weekend. And the differences are so incredible between mainland China and Hong Kong, although it is just an hour boat ride away.

After arriving on Saturday, we checked into our hotel. We stayed at the Best Western Harbor View hotel. It was definitely the nicest Best Western I've ever stayed at, although not the roomiest. The room was the size of a box, but clean and comfy. The staff was mediocre at best, except for the concierge downstairs. They were amazing! The elevator had gold decor and even a chandelier!


 View..supposed to be of harbor..hmmm..

Inside our elevator...fancy, eh?


We went shopping after dropping our bags off.  We found some stores we like, but the fashion has come around again to 1985. I get that fashion repeats itself, but does ALL of it need to come back? I found this jacket and tried to hitch-hike back in time.


Now, an interesting fact that many of you do not know. I love old stuff - especially recycled old stuff. We found this great shop that has antiques and I found lots of goodies I would have loved to purchase. However, they were too expensive and there was no way to get them home. Below is my favorite item. It's made from old railroad ties or spikes of some sort. SUPER cool!! The pictures doesn't show how big it really was though. 

Saturday night, we went seeking a Russian restaurant, as I was in the mood.  However, it had closed down. So, we opted for Lebanese instead. It was one of the best meals I have eaten since living over here! And the hummus would make any Israeli proud. :)  As if that meal couldn't be outdone, our breakfast the next day was like being back home. It was the best breakfast I have eaten (in which I didn't cook) since living here as well. I know it is simple, but trust me...so hard to find.


Now, another fun fact about me: I love cemeteries. It is an odd fascination, but one I enjoy, so don't judge. I try to visit one in every city I go to. My favs are in Paris and Denmark, but the Hong Kong Cemetery is interesting in its own right. It's so peaceful, yet just outside the gates is the hustle and bustle of millions of people. 



It is on a hill, so we started at the top and worked our way down. Most of the people here are pre-independent times. So, lots of British, Scottish, Irish, etc. Very few are of Chinese blood. 

One of the last things we did before heading back home was visit "Avenue of the Stars".  It is a smaller version of the Hollywood stars. Of course, I only knew a few of them. And I learned that my hands are not as big as Jackie Chan's, although they are a VERY close match!!





At the end of the walk, we stopped for a drink. And this final picture is just here because it's a cute picture. Nothing to it. Just for fun. :) 

I like Hong Kong. The people speak English, they are VERY helpful and kind, and there is not nearly the amount of pushing that you encounter in China. They are strict on spitting (as in DO NOT DO IT), they believe in orderly ques, and they do not try to rip off every foreigner they see. I actually left a coach wristlet at the hotel and was very upset thinking I would never see it again. To my shock (and pure appreciation), it was turned in to lost and found. I can pick it up later. These are things that you do not experience as a daily thing on mainland. There is a total world of difference between the two places. I just wish I had more time to spend there. Maybe I'll try to make more time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment