Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Friday, October 25, 2013

Knowing you are in the right place is a good feeling.

The past three days at work have been parent conferences. As expected, I had parents concerned that their child is not using English as much as they would like. I have some that think what we teach is too easy for their bright child. I have some that are just thrilled their child plays with other kids.  Overall, the parents were pleased and we are all on a good platform of communication with each other.

The greatest moments during these conferences are when you hear things such as, "She loves coming to school now." Or, "He said he knows Ms.Johanna loves him".  These are wonderful things to hear. I would say that it requires being a teacher to understand, but that isn't true.  I can compare knowing you are doing a good thing to any profession. Take advertising for example. When you pitch an idea and the boss picks your idea to be the one showed to millions, you know you are doing something right. And when a chef makes a dish that people rave about, it's exhilarating.  Well, in teaching, when you hear that the kids are happy to be learning, that is the greatest feeling. If learning is not fun from the start, it sets the tone for the rest of the school career, unless another teacher is able to change it around.  I strive to be a good teacher. I want the students to enjoy school. I want them to understand how much fun it is to learn new things.

No matter how many bad days may come along through the year, they will never outweigh the good days and the fact I feel right where I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment