Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Thursday, October 10, 2013

It's amazing how corruption can be so "legal".

This week, we found out that beginning in November, all of our paychecks would now have to be paid in Chinese Yuan, AND we would be forced to open up a local bank account. We have no choice if we want to be paid. Yes, China, you win again. You must have some pretty clever people sitting around the government offices thinking of ways that you can make more money off of foreigners than you already do.

And the bank that got this contract is now in the back pocket, so to speak. Yes, other international schools have had to do this as well. So they say, it was only a matter of time before we had to switch over as well. It still sounds fishy to me. Basically, I am still allowed to transfer my money to the USA, but I now will have to pay roughly $20 or more per month to do so. And if that isn't enough, I have to pay my bank in the States as well to receive the money. Yep, a double whammy.

I haven't been a super huge fan of this area for quite some time, but this has kinda put me over the edge of irritation this week. Hell, even in Kazakhstan, people are at least honest about the fact that you just bribe officials, police, etc. Again, I get that other countries have policies, but to disrupt the whole system now, when it could have been done in the summer or when we first came back, is the most annoying part of it all.

Ugh. Luckily, my new student (she makes 17 and another is on the way after she is done vacationing) seems to be adjusting well to our classroom and to me. :)  She's a cutie. I definitely have an awesome class this year. That keeps me smiling, when everything else makes me want to scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment