Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Friday, November 9, 2012

Taking a break from the corner

Ok, I know a lot of you immediately went to the twisted thought of me working a street corner. And you would be right.   Yep, time to tell you the truth.  And if you are going, "No way!" right about now, you're much more gullible than I imagined. ;)

On the way home from work yesterday, as I approached my favorite corner restaurant to pick up breakfast, I noticed there were dead cockroaches on the ground. They had been smooshed. There were not one or two, but about a dozen. Then, as I carefully continued walking (I did not want to step on one of them), I rounded to the dumpling restaurant - my second favorite breakfast food on the go. The dead cockroaches continued by the dozen. Some of these things were at least 2 inches long! And right next to the dumpling place is my veggie market where I get produce and eggs. The roaches, still covering the sidewalk, another dozen or so.

Did they spray? What caused all of these roaches to be out and about? And why, oh why, didn't someone sweep them up? If they sprayed and they came out, that means they've been in the stores. I know, I know. This is China. It is normal. But that many?? Ewww. And are they gone now? All I know is my stomach turned at the sight of so many gut-busted roaches all over. I wanted to cry. Had I not seen them, I would have pretended that these places are clean and germ free, like I have been doing to get by. But now....ugh. I think it is time for me to take a break from that corner. I need to convince myself that in time, when I no longer see the dead bugs, I'll believe it is clean again.

For now, breakfast at home and frozen dumplings. Luckily I know how to cook and the frozen ones are not that bad. I hope I can "get over it" soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment