Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

People continue to surprise me

Lets face it, people judge other people. When you meet someone, you "size them up". We have various reasons for doing such. They seem cold, bitchy, dim-witted, too fake, and a million other things to NOT like someone. Women, we are particularly bad at this (as a generalized whole).  Anyway, I tend to think I have a pretty good judge of character when it comes to meeting new people. However, this week has greatly surprised me.

When you start a new job, you always wonder if you will "fit in" with the current group. There are always ones you like a lot, others you may not care for, and some that you will go all year saying nothing more to than the cordial hello and goodbye. When I arrived one month ago, I was overwhelmed with meeting lots of new people. Most of them were new teachers, like myself. Then, about a week in, I got to meet my coworkers at my particular campus. There is only one other new teacher at my campus this year, so I didn't get much of a head start.

Immediately, I found myself drawn to one or two particular ones. I felt like they were the ones who would have more in common with me. And, of course, I had one or two that I was taken back by. I got the impression they were not the least bit interested in being social, or at least not with me. Now, here I am, a few weeks later, and I was wrong.

The ones I was immediately drawn to, I still am. But, I am finding that the personalities get along, but we do not have a lot in common after all. And, those I thought were stand-off-ish...well, I'm finding I like them much more than I thought I would. I'm glad. It is always nice to make connections when not expected. And, at this point in time, I can say that I enjoy the entire group of coworkers I have. They are all so very different, but all so very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment