Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Commercialization....what a trap we have been caught in.

It is yet another holiday, one that has significant meaning to a lot of people. And yet, it has been managed to be turned into another opportunity to spend money on things you do not need, just to make it "fun". Easter Sunday, you are here. And while there are many who attend church to recognize the sacrifices that were made by the Lord, there are many that are hunting for Easter baskets filled with candy, chocolate, toys, and any other item the parents felt necessary. I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't have colored eggs in mind when he said he was willing to die for the sins of others.

Now, I am not saying that it can't be both - meaningful and fun. I know lots of parents who teach their children the real meaning of Easter, as well as do the baskets. I get that. It's like Christmas, with all of the presents. If you only give presents and never recognize the true reason for the holiday, you are simply engaging in the commercialization of it all. Those who know me well know that I am not a truly religious person. I often question my faith, for various reasons. I am not saying I do or do not believe, but I do struggle with it from day to day. I do, however, believe that the overselling of junk in stores is a shame. I think there is a time for that crap. It's called Valentine's Day. If you want to spoil your children, so do on their birthdays. Don't promote Easter as another chance to score with presents.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I had both the true meaning of Easter taught to me growing up as well as the basket of candy. I got chocolate crosses too. ;o) I agree that holidays have been destroyed, in a way, by all of the commercialization. Did you see my post on facebook about the girl in her 20s who didn't know that Easter was a religious holiday? I totally understand that maybe her family didn't celebrate the religious part, but she never knew Jesus is the whole point of Easter. How do you go through 20 years of your life and not know that? I was really saddened by that.

    P.S. This is Liz Young by the way. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate the feedback and love knowing people are reading and care what I have to say. :)

    ReplyDelete