Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I support human equality.

Today is a special day for two of my dear friends. Today is the day that they stand together to become one. They have loved each other for years, and now, they will legally bind their love. Today, Bob and Chuck are getting married. And I could not be happier. I mean, who doesn't love weddings? They are filled with the joys that people in love bring to one another. They remind those of us who are single how grand love can be and that we should not stop searching for it. I love what weddings stand for. I believe in love. I also believe in human equality.

Many individuals, even some of you reading this, think same-sex couples are the work of the devil. Some think that it is an abomination. And while I greatly respect the thoughts and opinions of others, I pose this question to everyone who is opposed to same-sex marriage:  What would you do if it were your child? Please, do not say that would never happen. No not say your child "knows better" or was "raised better". It was not that long ago that parents were saying that when asked what they would do if their child dated a black man or woman.  Society has learned to look past color. But yet, we can't look past love? The greatest gift of all, next to life, and we can't accept it in all forms?

I struggle with people who say they are true Christians, and yet judge others. God is the judge, not you. "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us...." If you cannot forgive someone who trespasses against your own thoughts and beliefs, then please, do not claim yourself to God. I believe in the power and goodness of mankind - no matter whom they choose to love. I believe in acceptance of all. I do not want everyone to think like me all the time. But, I do expect people to respect their fellow human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment