Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Anxious to do what I love...

This weekend, Special Olympics of Kazakhstan (which I didn't know we had) is hosting winter events here in Astana. My boss and I agreed it would be great for our school to get involved, and she graciously gave me all the time off from work to volunteer for this wonderful cause. As it turns out though, most of our school is going to be volunteering on Friday. A large group has also signed up for Saturday and Sunday. I am a mix of emotions at this moment. First and foremost, I am thrilled to be back working with Special Olympics (as I had done before in the states) and to be surrounded by amazing people who conquer life daily with disabilities. I'm also extremely proud of my school. The students and staff were under no obligation to volunteer, nor did they have any incentive, except the pureness of doing something good. To see how many are stepping up to the plate makes me proud to be part of the team. And while I haven't always felt this was a group I could be close with, this shows me it is a group I can respect. And that means a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment