Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do I feel sorry or stay mad?

The most unfortunate thing has happened at work. Another coworker and I can't seem to see eye-to-eye. This happens ALL of the time in several work atmospheres, so why is it such a big deal here? Well, because I am continually being berated and down-right rudely spoken to in front of other peers. Having been raised with manners, I am trying to not stoop to the same level.

Last week, I was told to "be mature" when I made a kid pick up food he had thrown in the cafeteria. I was told "accidents happen" and I shouldn't be so upset. I'm sorry, but when has throwing food become an accident?  Then today, I asked TWO teachers to please make sure their kids have lunch cards when they drop them off in the cafeteria. Only one belittled me. I was accused of picking on the boys because I have no idea how boys act. And the reason I have no idea is because they act like me. AND, since I don't have a man in my life, I do not have the slightest idea how they behave. Are you kidding me???? The fact that I am not sleeping with a man makes me unaware of behaviors?  I was totally shocked by this sexist statement. I did say that I was offended. To which I was laughed at and told "I forget you are young and new to teaching".  Again, are you kidding me? I'm in my 30's and been doing this in some capacity for quite some time.

The final nail in the coffin, so to speak, was when I was told that I was trained to be a Special Education teacher, and I need to realize that not all children are special needs. Most are normal. SERIOUSLY?   Does that mean that the children I love so much and want to teach forever are not "normal"? I am convinced there is no such thing as "normal" in any person, just the best each of us can be. I was crushed with this insult. Insult me, fine. Insult my students, not cool.

So, I fumed for about 30 minutes on this. I wanted to just knock some sense into the person. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I just wanted to hug all the special needs kids I've ever worked with. Then, it occurred to me. What if this person is just so ignorant that they truly do not know better? Could it be? Could they just not understand? Or, are they just so arrogant with their self that they just do not care about hurting others? I know I am not always easy to get along with, but making such rude and unprofessional comments to another colleague is just uncalled for. So, do I stay mad or feel sorry for this person? I'm leaning towards the feeling sorry. Because anyone who can't see how amazing special needs kids are is missing out on a lot in life.

Tomorrow is another day, and I'll go about my job like I always do - giving my best. This person and I will never be best friends, but hopefully someday, some civil behavior will be in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment