Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Sunday, December 11, 2011

childhood activities still prove enjoyable

This afternoon, I did something that I have not done in years. I went sled riding! Ok, I took a few turns down the hill. I guess you wouldn't really say I did it a lot, but enough. What happened was this: The kids were doing it and having a blast. We adults joked about it. Then I said, "why not?"  I borrowed a sled paddle (yes, they look like big paddles here) and took a turn. I laughed out loud with one of those "bottom-of-the-belly" laughs and felt so good, that I did it again. I remember how we used to sled ride for hours on end and only come in when we had to, or when we were literally so frozen, we could no longer move. There are so many things I enjoyed as a child and just seem to have 'outgrown' as an adult. Why do we do that? Why is it, that when we become bill-paying, responsibility-induced adults, we forget the most fun times that can be had for free? Don't get me wrong - there are LOTS of fun things I have done as an adult, but so many childhood ways have been left behind. And when you think about it, when are we usually the happiest? Exactly. So today, I embraced my childhood for a few minutes. Tomorrow, I will go to work and enjoy the thing I like most about being an adult - my job. I will get to share my love of teaching with students who warm my heart. And, so I continue to keep in touch with my inner-child, I'll print pictures for my kids and I to color at recess. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment