Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Realizing how well I really have it

Life is full of surprises, some good and some bad. And there are those times in life when you think, "Why me? What did I do to deserve this?" Lets face it...life can be hard. But then, you see someone that doesn't have a fraction of the good fortune you do, and you realize you are a big, fat, baby. You whine about the dumbest of things, and for what? So what if you can't afford that new sweater. And who cares if you have money to go out to eat. There are people who don't have money to eat at home.

In participating in the scavenger hunt, we are seeing all parts of this wonderful city, including the original Astana - villages and soviet buildings. Right outside my apartment is a village area that still uses an outhouse, a well pump outside for water, and a fireplace as their means of heat. Here I am, in my company paid for apartment, opening the window because I am too hot. I have more than enough means to buy the groceries I want. I can go out to eat when I want. I can live comfortably on one job here. Yet, so many locals struggle every day.  I know I am truly blessed to be living the life I am. I know there are those less fortunate than I am. And yet, I continually find myself in that stupid rut of forgetting how good I have it. From now on, I'm going to try extra hard to remember how great my life is.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good way to remember how lucky we have it in America.... thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete