Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Monday, August 29, 2011

Astana is not ADA approved

In the 3 weeks (or close to it) that I've been here, I have seen maybe 3 people with physical disabilities. I do not go around looking to keep statistics, but as a Special Education teacher, you notice more when it's a rarity. Many of times, I have even said to my friends that Astana is not ADA friendly. I have yet to see an apartment building with a truly handicap accessible entrance. Most stores do not have accommodations either. Yes, there are elevators in malls and such, but these are just a small percentage of places to shop. So, I have to wonder: Do people in Kazakhstan just have less physical disabilities than in the U.S.A.? Or, is it like a friend from India once told me, "You don't see them because we have special institutions for them."  I now have an urge to do some research and put my curiosity to rest. Of course, my first stop on the research train will be my coworkers who are from Kazakhstan.

And, speaking of these coworkers, "HAPPY CONSTITUTION DAY" tomorrow! Enjoy your day off!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment