Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Damn. Trying to be social does not always pay off.

Anyone who has ever lived overseas knows that you find yourself part of an often tight-knit community of those in your profession/place of employment/or origin of country. Yes, you make friends with locals as well, but for holidays, etc., you find yourself with the familiar. At least I do. And while Thanksgiving is approaching and I am very happy to be spending it with my friends here, my vacations are another story.

I planned a trip in May with a group of friends. There is one possibly going that I do not know very well, but for the most part, the rest I feel I could handle 3 days with and have some good times. The problem then? Well, one of the group has since invited others that are planning to join us. The others are not people I would want to spend my vacation time with in the least bit. We just don't have enough in common and to be frank, I often find myself annoyed with stupid shit they say.

My ticket has already been purchased and is non-refundable. So, my choices are now to 1) not go and lose the money, 2) go and leave the group to do my own thing, which makes me look like a bitch, or 3) stay with the group and suffer. Seriously. UGH!! I would love to spend time with some of the folks going, so I want to do some group stuff. However, I feel I am going to venture out on my own for part of this trip as well. Otherwise, I'll possibly get to the breaking point and say something I shouldn't.

People are always amazed that I like to travel alone. They ask things about whether I get scared, bored, etc. I always say I love traveling alone. I've met some of the most amazing people while out traveling as a single person. But, just once, I wanted to know what it was like to do a large group thing. You know, lots of friends together. Unfortunately, it isn't going to be what I had planned. Next time, I'll be sure to specify that if I join in, the group is set and non-negotiable without consulting others going. On the bright side, it isn't until spring, so I have time to figure it all out.

On a brighter note - school is still going wonderfully. I love my kids and we are having fun together. I even had a parent thank me for making science fun. She would love for her daughter to think life is more than just princesses and fairies. I hope my little girls will see me - make up free and enjoying learning - and grow up knowing that they can do whatever they want, as long as they are happy. I know I am happy and wouldn't change the course my life is on right now by choice. Just maybe the country I live in. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment