Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Sunday, May 26, 2013

The ups and downs of changes

Sometimes in life, you have the choice to make your own changes happen. Sometimes, changes happen and you didn't have a damn say in the matter. And usually, no matter what the situation, there are pros and cons to those changes. Learning to live with them is the challenge more than the change itself.

Over the past few years, I've had the chance to choose a change of country and I do not regret my decisions for one minute. Granted, there have been definite pros and cons. In Kazakhstan, the weather was harsh! The city was nice and the people were kind. I found a simple beauty in life. But, again, HARSH winters are not good. So, off to China. I knew before coming here that I'd have some difficulties with my sinuses. I didn't realize HOW difficult of a time I'd have though. :(  The pros though: cheap and easy travel to sooooo many other places. My vacations are great.  In jobs, changes happen too. Often you can get promoted (although teachers don't really experience this). Or, you can change grade levels. I know friends who have wanted to move levels and those who have been forced to move levels. They have adapted. I've been in that situation as well, where I wound up in another teaching position than what I started. It worked out for the time being. But now, I find myself asking for a change again.

This time though is different. I am not wanting a change because I no longer love what I do. I love teaching preschool. But, when you are teaching, there is so much more to consider than just your own classroom. You have a team, a boss, an environment of the campus - all things that can make you want something different. And that is what has happened to me. I will not know right away (at least I do not expect to) if I will get the change I am seeking, but at least I put forth the effort to seek it. Although it would mean a longer commute to and from work (compared to my 5 min. walk now), I believe it would be a new and exciting opportunity for me to grow and learn in another setting. If it doesn't work out, I still have preschool, which makes me happy too.  I'll keep you posted!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment