Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Saturday, March 23, 2013

I live here too now.

As a traveler, I understand the importance of respecting the host country you are in (city, etc) as it is their home. When I moved here, I never fussed when I almost got hit by a bike, or a car for that matter. I didn't make a face or say anything out loud when I was passing someone who was hawking up a lugie. I didn't stand up for myself when someone cut in front of me while I was waiting patiently in line. Well, all of that has changed. I am no longer a tourist. I live here too.

Two weekends ago, I was crossing the street with a friend. We had the green light to do so. Well, a car came speeding around the corner and almost hit me. I am not exaggerating when I say he was within 12 inches of hitting me. I was furious. I stopped, turned towards him, pointed at the green walk light, and proceeded to yell at him for almost hitting someone who had the right of way. I've since done this two more times in past two weeks. While waiting for a taxi recently, and having learned my lesson from locals, I stood right beside the door and waited for the current passenger to pay and exit. A man came up with a suitcase and tapped on the trunk, so the taxi would open it for HIS bag, so HE could get inside. I told him to move in, it was my taxi. He looked at me and I gave him that "teacher is pissed off look" and said, "NO!". He left.

Last night, I was coming home from a friend's house. I told the driver where I wanted to go. He repeated it back to me. Then, he went the wrong way. I had to stop him. He was on the phone while driving. I told him to get off the phone and pay attention to his job. I wasn't paying extra for his mistakes. Now, did he understand what I said? Of course not .He didn't speak English. But, did he understand my tone? You bet. He got off the phone. He didn't say another word until I got out.

I still respect cultural differences, but just not ignorance. I live here too now. I support the economy. And I refuse to be bullied around.

No comments:

Post a Comment