Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Those magic moments

If you ever want to hear a plethora of stories, just ask a teacher. They have funny ones, sad ones, unimaginable ones, unbelievable ones, and everything in between. But, for me personally, I love the ones that put a big smile on my face and warm hug around my heart. Those are the magical moments that keep us doing what we do.

Last week, I had a great week with my kids. They were sweet and well behaved. I couldn't believe how lucky I was. Then, this week, back to driving me to drink. I was so flustered in the behaviors on Monday and Tuesday, that I wanted to scream. So, I went out to eat with a friend on Tuesday evening. I was craving a turkey sandwich from a place called the Boathouse, which uses real turkey - just like leftover Thanksgiving.  Anyway, we were sitting there chatting, when I saw one of my classroom mommies. I smiled and said hello. She returned the gesture. Then, she turned around and hollered back in Hebrew. I then figured my student was with her. I sat there, hoping he would acknowledge me. Sometimes, kids are shy in public.

Then, it was the complete opposite, but total happy-joy-joy moment that made my day: He came running as fast as he could, pushing his big brother out of the way, to give me a hug!!! He couldn't get to me fast enough and he practically jumped on me to hug me. I melted!!! I couldn't stop smiling the rest of the evening. I told my friend, "He loves his Ms. Johanna!" and she smiled and agreed. These moments - when your students are SO happy to see you, even outside of school - make my daily struggles worth while. I know I am making a difference, even if only for the time being.

I am so fortunate to have a job that allows me to do that in life. I am so grateful that these moments happen. Then, today at work, while discussing a child in my room with "behaviors" to say the least, my boss said, "True, but he is so happy to come to school everyday and be with you."  And she is right. This boy comes in daily, with a smile on his face and yelling, "Ms. Johanna!"  So yes, there are days when I want to drink the entire bottle of wine. There are days when I eat a box of chocolate for dinner instead of something more balanced. And there are days I want to pull my hair out. But, I wouldn't trade these for anything if it meant losing the good days too and the moments that warm my heart and remind me why I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment