Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sometimes, they just know how to surprise you.

All teachers will understand me when I say I have that one kid that just "never seems to quit". He is on full-blown energy at every given moment of the day. He requires a LOT (and this is an understatement) of redirection for the entire 6 hrs. I have him. Keep in mind, we do not have planning periods during the day, so he is with me NON-STOP, lunch and all.

Anyway, today was one of those, "man, I'm so worn out and all I need right now is a beer" kind of days. I was spent. He did not take a nap either, so he was wound up the entire rest period. I was about ready to pull my hair out. Then, when we were waking up our friends, and I was helping another to put his shoes on, it happened. I got the biggest surprise. This student, although I had given him time-out TWICE today, came over to me. He threw his arms around me and planted a big kiss on my cheek! With no prompting, no indication this would happen, there he was. Happy to be loving on me. My heart melted.

All day, I kept thinking I would never make it to the end of the day, as he was in overload mode today. Then, he goes and does something so sweet and innocent. Showing me he cares, despite my frustration with him. These are the moments that remind me that these kiddos are just 3. They need love more than anything else. And now, when he is frustrating me to the point of no return, I'll think of this moment. I'll be reminded of his simple gesture of affection and how it made me feel. And then I'll return it. I've been giving him extra hugs and attention lately...trying to encourage "good boy" behavior. Now, I have the reminder I needed to keep it up. Ah, what a great way to end my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment