Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Finally back - from the interesting China!

Well, here I am. I am in Shekou, Shenzhen, China. Upon arrival, I began to experience a panic attack for the reason that the driver was not there at the airport. I had flashbacks to when I was left at the airport in Kazakhstan in the middle of the night. Fortunately, this person was just late and had not forgotten me. I met another new teacher who would be living in my apartment. His name is Antonio and he is a great new friend.

So, I get to the apartment and here are the details:   It is very modern - all white walls and white tile, with gray, white and black furniture. I am trying to add color wherever I can. The walls are concrete, so hanging pictures is no easy task. The kitchen is small, but I am able to make due. I have two bedrooms. Only one has a closet/storage, but that is fine. I have a nice bathroom with a shower that has two different shower heads. There is a detachable one and a rain shower one. I was very spoiled in Kazakhstan. I had more storage (which I love) and a LARGE kitchen, which was great. Also, our contract does not stipulate that our company provides anything besides a bed and basic furnishings. In Kazakhstan, things had been left in the apartment or from the landlord. Here...nothing. There wasn't even silverware! So, I've been spending lots of money lately. I bought a microwave, silverware, plates, cups, etc. I am slowly getting my kitchen stocked to what I like.

There was another family moving back home and they had a sale of their stuff. I went to pick it up and was told I could hire a truck to bring it back to my apartment. Then, I was told the truck was broken down, but another "car" would be there. It was not a car, but it did the job. It was actually a motorcycle with a trailer attached! Haha. I guess whatever works. It cost me $10 to get the stuff across town and into my apartment.

My first impressions here are mixed (mainly due to being spoiled in Kazakhstan). I love my location though. I am only 5 min. from work and within a 10 min. walk to the mall and Wal-Mart. ;)  There are some good restaurants right here and lots of veggie stands to get fresh produce. The weather is hot and humid, but I'm fine with that. It is way better than being cold!! I'll do another post on Wal-Mart. I'll also blog in more detail about the food at another time.

Overall, I am happy with my decision and once I get settled into my school routine, it'll be even better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment