Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Resolutions I won't make

Every year, millions of people make resolutions to do things, lose things, make things...and so on. I've been one of those people. I have succeeded in some, but mostly, haven't fulfilled them. Like so many others, I have good intentions, but life just takes over sometimes. You get busy. You get distracted. Or, you just realize it isn't that important anymore. There are certain resolutions I just can't make b/c I know, without a doubt, that I won't follow through. Dieting is the main one. I love to eat and if I want the pie, I'm gonna eat the damn pie. I don't smoke. I don't drink enough to say I ought to cut back. I don't drink soda or really like too many sweets, so that is not an issue. I have already started reading more and definitely writing more. So, it left me thinking, "what could I choose to do that would make me a better person in the year 2012?"

With much thought, I realized it isn't about me. At least it shouldn't be. If I want to be a better person, I have to do so in actions. That means, being a better person to others. So, without making some unrealistic goal of "do one nice thing per day for someone" (let's face it, we have bad days and life goes on), I am going to make a resolution to be more patient. I know, as a teacher, you would think I already am. And with kids, I usually am. But, with adults, I tend to be much more easily frustrated. This year, I want to be more patient with adults, more understanding with what others have to say or need. And hopefully, I'll learn to be more patient with myself along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment