Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Middle East or America?

Although I have not been out and about much in Dubai (thanks to illness), I did make some mental notes while riding the bus into town. I saw lots of tall buildings, lots of English signs, a Papa Johns, KFC, McDonald's, Hardee's, and a Subway. There was also a row of car dealerships, lots of malls, and tons of traffic. I almost forgot that I was in the Middle East. I mean, it felt like Richmond or N.Y., or D.C. for that matter. It's amazing how westernized so many places are. The only part that reminded me of where I really was the desert area with roaming camels that I passed. ;)  

I know this may sound odd, but I like that Kazakhstan has resisted the westernized feel. I kinda like that they stick to their own restaurants and roots. Granted, I'd love it if more things were in English, but that would go against what I do like about it. I'm very grateful for having English speaking doctors here in the U.A.E. though, since I am traveling alone. But, in Kazakhstan, I'd have someone to help me, so it'd be ok. I'm going to try very hard to get out and enjoy some of this city today if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment