Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Intro to opera...La Traviata

Have you ever seen the movie Pretty Woman? If so, you know that Edward takes Vivian to the opera for the first time. He tells her, "Peoples' reaction to the opera the first time they see it.....they either love it or they hate it. If they love it, they will always love it. If they hate it, they may learn to appreciate it, but it will never be part of them..."  OK, hopefully I got that right for the most part...been a while since I watched the movie. Tonight, I was Vivian. Only I didn't have a handsome, rich man taking me. But, I experienced the opera for the first time. I waited patiently for that moment where I would be overcome with emotion like she was, but that didn't happen. There were a few moments where it took me by surprise and I felt the power of the singing. I can honestly say Edward was wrong. I don't know if I am in love with it, but I certainly didn't hate it. I feel a strong appreciation for it and given another chance to see another opera, would definitely go. I may learn to love it, but I will never hate it. It's a powerful and emotional experience that I enjoyed. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment