Hidden Valley Waterfall

Hidden Valley Waterfall

Monday, September 26, 2011

Another night, compliments of the embassy

Tonight wrapped up the film documentary series that the embassy was presenting. I went to see Niger '66. It was a documented diary of a group who were in the Peace Corp in 1966 in Niger, Africa and then went back to visit in 2008. It was interesting, but long. I was tapped at about an hour. Nothing against the documentary, just too much after a long day.

But, I realized some very important things about myself and my time here in Astana thus far.

1. I am a brat. Yep, I said it. I could not live w/out running water (at least not for the 2 yrs. they did). Moving to another country was one thing, but living in a combine is another.

2. They discussed the culture shock - not of coming to a new country, but the one when you return to your home country. Now, I have only been here for 2 months, so no big deal. But, after a year, what will I find so different about back home? What will I miss most about Astana?

3. During discussion afterwards, some current embassy workers, who were previous Peace Corp volunteers, talked about how hard it was to adjust. I haven't really experienced that to the degree others have. I mean, the language is hard to get past, but food, people, etc....I'm good. Granted, I haven't experienced winter. Even the locals say they want to move to another country during this time. Yeah, can't wait. Maybe I just have the right attitude - it doesn't have to be permanent. It doesn't have to be short term. It just has to be what I make it out to be.

With that said, I'm gonna take my Astana-loving self to bed soon. My allergies and sinus issues have followed me here and slightly irritated that I can no longer just blame them on Virginia. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment